Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cinnamon Vanilla Quinoa Bowl

I love Fall and some of my favorite foods during fall are apples, vanilla and cinnamon.  My creamy quinoa bowl is a perfect way to combine all these flavors together.

Are your tired of eating the same oatmeal every day?  Quinoa is a wonderful alternative, protein rich and versatile grain to replace oatmeal.  It's perfect as a savory dish for dinner or lunch but can also be turned into a sweet and creamy breakfast treat!  
 
Creamy Cinnamon Vanilla Quinoa Bowl
Gluten free, dairy free, vegan
 
 
 
My  delicious quinoa cereal is perfect for this time of year! Starting my  day with quinoa leaves me energized all day. 
 
I have tried making quinoa in just water, but adding the almond milk after didn't taste as good.  I have tried using all almond milk, but it just came out way too thick and was a total mess.  I found that by adding a 1/2 cup of almond milk with the 1 cup water, the quiona comes out creamy.  By adding the dates, cinnamon and vanilla to the almond milk first, also makes the quiona tastier. 
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 cup quinoa
2 dates
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 teaspoon + cinnamon
1/4 orange
orange zest
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cup water
 
 
Directions:
 
Blend 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 
2 or 3 dates, vanilla, cinnamon, and a
few pieces of fresh orange. 
 
Rinse Quinoa
Bring milk water mixture to a boil
Add quinoa into boiling milk/water mixture
Reduce heat 
Cook quinoa until it becomes soft and most of liquid is absorbed. 
Stir frequently because quinoa will stick to the bottom. 
You may need to add extra water if quinoa thickens before it's soft.
I cooked my quinoa for about 15-20 minutes. 
 
You can either refrigerate for another day, or serve immediately.  This should last a about 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
 
To serve add raisins, berries, bananas, nuts, seeds, apples or dried fruit.
 
Top with cinnamon and orange zest ...
 
Enjoy ...
 
My favorite way to serve is with apples, bananas and cinnamon.

 
 
 
Fresh Blended Orange Juice

Super easy, but very tasty recipe...

 
 
 
My blended orange juice is not going to be as strong tasting as if you juiced the orange.  However, I prefer it because I am getting the benefits from the orange, but I am also getting all the fiber and nutrients from the orange. 
 
1 orange
dash of cinnamon
blend with 1/2 cup water or more if needed
add ice and blend...
substitute water for unsweetened almond milk if you prefer a creamier taste.
 
 
Enjoy ...

© Copyright 2013 CarriesKiddieCloset 
 
Connect with Gluten Free Jersey Girl on FACEBOOK!

Check out our sister site, Carries Kiddie Closet
Carries Kiddie Closet facebook
 

No comments:

Post a Comment