Friday, October 10, 2014

Gluten Free Dairy Free Protein Pumpkin Pancakes

Protein Pumpkin Pancakes with Pumpkin Syrup
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo, Vegetarian


Years ago, I used to take egg whites, protein powder and cinnamon and mix together and cook into a pancake.  I had no idea that other people were doing this and what a craze it would become.  I did it because at the time I was following the Atkins diet and was tired of just eggs all the time.  I used more eggs than protein powder back then, and I even made it into a pizza. The things you come up with when you are on a diet and miss all the foods you can't eat.  Well, as it turns out, many of those carbohydrates were actually making me sick anyway.  Through the years my recipe has changed a bit and there are a lot of recipes online now that you can search for all kinds of protein pancakes.
Here's my version.

Healthy Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
 Recipe by: Gluten Free Jersey Girl
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Paleo

Serves: 1 to 2

Ingredients: 

1/2 banana
1 Teaspoon vanilla
3 egg whites
1 Tablespoon Pure Pumpkin Puree
1/4 Cup Almond Milk
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
1/4 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon Protein Powder 
(I used Sunwarrior Raw Protein Powder)
1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
1 Teaspoon Chia Seeds

** Note **  Batter will be thick.  You can thin with a little almond milk.

Instructions:
1. Blend all ingredients together in the blender. 
2.  Spray pan with cooking spray or use 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil .  You want to be sure the pan is fully covered, so your pancake does not stick.
3. Once pan is nice and hot, pour pancake batter and heat for a good 5 minutes or so, until bubbles form, and you can easily flip.  Gently go around all sides of your pancake with your spatula to be sure it will not stick when you flip.  Be sure not to have the heat too high so they do not burn.  
4.  Once each side of your pancake can easily go through the spatula, flip your pancake.
5. Cook the other side for about 2-3 minutes until it is done in the middle and remove from the pan.
6.  Repeat until all of your batter is gone.



I love to top my protein pancakes with fresh fruit, honey or coconut nectar.  
One of my favorite ways to top them is with fresh fruit, almond butter, coconut butter and a drizzle of coconut nectar.


Sticking with my pumpkin theme, 
I came up with a quick recipe for pumpkin syrup ... 

Pumpkin Syrup
Serves 1

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin
2  to 3 Tablespoons honey, maple syrup or coconut nectar
3. 1 Tablespoon Almond Milk
4.  Dash of Pumpkin Pie Spice
5.  Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave

I have to say that I tried a sample of the pancake with a touch of vegan butter and drizzle of this syrup and the taste was absolutely amazing!  


You can store batter in the fridge for a day or two, however, the batter thickens very quickly, especially in the refrigerator, so I prefer to cook them all at once and then save them for a snack later.  I simply let them cool, then pack in a container in the refrigerator.  They make the perfect mid-afternoon snack with a spoonful of almond butter on top!  I love to make mini sandwiches out of them by spreading almond butter and sugar free jelly on them for the perfect lunch!  

  

Enjoy ...

Coming soon:  Abba Paleo Bar Review and live tweeting and reviews right from Walt Disney World, Florida, Winter Park, Florida and Orlando ... 

Be sure to follow us for daily updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment